AN ADJUSTMENT AND PREPARATION PROJECT FOR THE RAICES (ASTURIAS, SPAIN) QUAY CONSIDERING NEW TRAFFIC
- Place: Avilés, Asturias (Spain)
- Scope: Writing of the Preliminary Project and EIA
The water depth at the Raices Quay is increased from the current 8.7 m to 14 m with a quay advance.
The dredging is done on category C contaminated material which led to the sheet pile solution being chosen following a study of alternatives.
Environmental care is of utmost importance in this area as the worksite is located in NATURA 2000 NETWORK zones: ZEC ES1200055 and ZEPA ES0000318.
The solution planned is summarized as follows:
• A complete study of alternatives
• The designing of a combined front sheet pile (HZ 1180M D-14/AZ 20-700) and rear sheet pile (AZ 36-700 N).
• The confinement of the dredged contaminated material (85,000 m3)
• The designing of the load relief slab to reduce the push load on the sheet pile
• New paving
• Installation work
Included is a complete Environmental Impact Assessment for the ordinary processing of the Project